Tuesday, October 15, 2013

8th Grade at The Headwaters School


In late September the Eighth Grade spent four nights at The Headwaters School near Mt. Shasta. The students had many memorable experiences: night sits, sweat lodge, nature crafts, shelter building, medicine stick carving, fire building (without matches!), and nature stories.

Upon their return, the Eighth Graders wrote notes of appreciation to the director, Tim. The letters were enthusiastic, some are excerpted here.

"The Headwaters Outdoor School is such an incredible and exciting place that it was probably one of the best experiences I've ever had. I especially enjoyed the bonding experience in the sweat lodge and when we all built the shelter together. You taught us the ways of the Native Americans and your stories were wonderful."

"Thank you so much for teaching us and working with us on how to know the right time to be quiet. I really enjoyed all the nature activities and I want to come back with my family some time. The sweat lodge was very challenging but I told myself I could do it and then I loved it.It's like life: you may think something is scary but you should try it anyway because if you don't you will never know what you missed. Thank you for teaching me this and many other lessons."

"Thank you for sharing your wonderful land with us. I especially enjoyed the night sit and learning how to make fire without matches. The sweat lodge was very intense and I only made it half-way through but I am glad I could try.The food was great, especially the burritos. I also like learning about nature camouflage and sitting out at night all by myself. I really enjoyed my stay because I could just let go. I felt like a different person after leaving and I hope I can come back. You made me think of the world in a completely different way."

"Thank you so much for welcoming us to your beautiful outdoors school. I am so glad to have been taught Nature skills by such a caring and helpful group of teachers. You helped me realize how important it is to fight and care for Nature and that is a lesson I will never forget."

"I can't even describe how grateful I am to have been at the Headwaters Outdoor School and to have been taught so many very important and extraordinary things. I learned so much from you and all the teachers at Headwaters. For instance, I never really thought about how much Nature means to us until you showed us and told us all the wonderful stories about Nature and animals. Among the many activities we did, the sweat lodge was my favorite. I liked it so much because of how our class bonded  to support each other. I also enjoyed how every evening we sat around the fire describing our feelings about the experiences we had had that day. Lastly, everything you told us really sank in. I am so grateful to have been on that trip and I will strive to be more cautious and aware of my actions and how much they affect Nature."

No comments:

Post a Comment